It’s time to buckle down and get in shape for the summer season, and beyond! We’ve put together a full-body workout to kick the post-winter blues and welcome that summer body, toned and strong!
Squats with a Twist
Muscles worked: glutes, obliques, outer thighs
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, toes forward. Put your weight in your heels, squat down, bending your knees at a 90-degree angle.
As you stand, lift your right leg out to the side and twist your upper body towards your lifted leg. Your hip, knee, and toes should stay facing forward and knee bent at a 90-degree angle. Repeat on the opposite side.
*Repeat 20 reps each leg.
Muscles worked: glutes, inner thighs, hamstrings; also great cardio
- Begin with feet wider than shoulder-width apart, toes turned out. Bend knees to a 90-degree angle.
Jump in the air, squeezing your heels towards each other. End back in your original position.
Muscles worked: quads, hamstrings, glutes; also works overall balance and core stability
- Stand on your left leg, toe forward. Right knee is bent and your foot is touching your left knee.
Bend your left leg as you shoot your right leg straight back behind you. You want to try and reach as close to touching the ground as possible with your right arm. Bring your leg back to your original position. Repeat on the opposite side.
*20 reps each leg
Muscles worked: triceps, shoulders, biceps; also works core stability
- Start on your hands and knees. Hands are one inch narrower than shoulder-width apart. Your right knee is bent with the knee on the ground, sole of the foot to the sky. Extend your right leg straight back, resting it on your left foot.
- Lower your chest as close to the ground as you can, keeping your elbows tight to your ribcage. Your right leg should go up as your upper body goes down. Repeat on the opposite side.
*10 pushups each leg
Side Plank Scoop
Muscles worked: shoulders, abs, glutes; also works overall balance
- Begin in a side plank on your right side. Right arm is directly under your shoulder. Right leg is extended straight out. Left leg is bent over your right leg for added stability. Left arm is reaching up to the sky.
Scoop the left arm down, as if wrapping it around your ribcage. Reach the same arm back up to the sky. Squeeze your oblique muscles as you reach and lift your waist to the sky, as you wrap the arm. Repeat on the opposite side.
*20 reps each side
Krista Ramirez is an AAFA certified personal trainer, group fitness instructor, and creator of Triple A (Arms, Abs, and Ass). She is based in Los Angeles and combines her dance background to her fitness education to create fun workouts! She also owns Your Night Choreo, where she and her husband choreograph wedding dances and special events. Instagram: @kristaramfitness Website:yournightchoreo.com