A healthy take on a classic comfort-food dish, this spaghetti squash and meatballs recipe will quickly make its way to your collection of meals in heavy rotation — especially during these times of social distancing. The best part? It’s light, delicious, and you most likely already have most of the ingredients in your pantry!
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
1 bunch fresh basil, large stems (removed, chopped)
1 pinch of coarse salt (as desired)
1 pinch of fresh ground pepper
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 16 oz can tomato sauce
2 - 3 lbs spaghetti squash
2 lbs ground turkey meat
1 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the squash lengthwise and remove the seeds. Drizzle olive oil over squash.
- Place on a baking sheet, cut-side down. Roast the squash until softened, 30 to 40 minutes depending on size.
- Take a deep skillet, add olive oil, and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté until translucent. Add the tomatoes and simmer on low heat, about 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, basil, parsley, and egg . Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to your liking. Form into 2-inch meatballs.
- Heat some oil in a separate skillet and pan-fry the meatballs until browned on all sides. Transfer the meatballs to the sauce and simmer until cooked through.
- Using a fork, remove the squash from the skin by “combing” it out. Place the shredded squash into a dish and top with meatballs and tomato sauce. Add parmesan, as desired.
This mouth-watering combination of flavors and textures was contributed exclusively to Ellie by Everytable, a revolutionary restaurant model that provides healthy, affordable, made-from-scratch meals. Instagram:@foreverytable Website: www.everytable.com