If you work in an office, chances are that you are sitting WAY too much! Sitting down all day can seriously derail our fitness and health goals--so much so that an hour of cardio after work may not even be enough to reverse its harmful effects. We sit for an average of 9.5 hours a day and sleep for an average of 7.5 hours a night, which quickly adds up to a very sedentary lifestyle.
There’s good news though--you can do something about it (without getting a new job)! You can burn a couple extra hundred calories throughout the day, and you don’t even have to leave your desk.
Try out these 4 calorie-burning moves below, and for best results, make sure to repeat them 2-3 times throughout your work day!
Seated Jumping Jacks
This move will help get your heart rate up without having to leave your desk!
- Sit at the edge of your chair, keeping your knees bent and feet together, and put your hands out to the sides.
- Next, quickly open your legs outward. At the same time, bring your arms up over your head, like a jumping jack!
- Return to the starting position, and repeat for 30 reps, as quickly as you can.
Seated Band Abductions
Use this move for strengthening and slimming your hips and upper thighs! Make this move harder and more effective by using one of the resistance loops from our January 5-item box!
- Sit back in your chair, and stabilize yourself by either resting your forearms on your armrests, or if you don’t have arm rests, holding onto the outside edges of your chair.
- Place the resistance loop of your choice (light, medium or high) around your ankles. We recommend choosing a resistance band that is always under tension, even at the starting position. Alternatively, you can do this move without a resistance loop.
- Be sure to maintain a neutral spine, head and neck position.
- Using your glutes, slowly press your legs outward as far as you can. Slowly, and with control, return your legs to the start position.
- Repeat for 20 reps.
Although doing push-ups at your desk might be a little more obvious in the office, it’s a great one to incorporate daily! Push-ups strengthen your chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps and your core. Make sure your desk is sturdy before attempting this move, otherwise you can do it on the floor.
- Stand up facing your desk. Place your arms shoulder-width apart, and take a few steps back.
- Try to keep your body at a 45° angle and engage your core. Keep your legs and torso as straight as possible, and slowly lower into a push-up.
- Return to the starting position and repeat for 10-15 reps.
- For an added challenge, consider varying this move by moving your hands closer or further apart, which will target different muscles.
Seated Torso Crunch
Use this move for a discrete ab workout at work!
- Grasp the edges of your chair and keep your feet together in front of you, with your heels raised.
- Lean back and slowly raise your knees upwards, so that your feet leave the floor.
- Repeat for 15-20 reps. For an added challenge, hold every 5th rep for 15-30 seconds, with feet raised off the floor.
Start using these moves daily in addition to your regular workout and you should definitely see some benefits!
Here are a few easy tips you can also incorporate to reverse the effects of sitting all day:
- Get a standing desk.
- Work on your posture while you are sitting. Make sure you are sitting up straight, with your lower back pressed against the back of your chair, and your feet flat on the ground.
- At the start of every hour, go for a brisk walk around the office. Use the stairs!
- Park farther away.
- Go for a walk on your lunch break.