Meet one of our new favorites. The Buddha Bowl! It's colorful, nutritious, and delicious! Plus, with such a wide variety of grains and vegetables to choose from, you can make one pretty much however you want.
The Buddha Bowl is an excellent way to start your day and makes for a great post-workout meal.
Follow the recipe below or tweak it to put your own spin on it.
- 1 c dry red quinoa
- 2 tsp healthy oil (suggest walnut, avocado, or olive -- separated)
- 2 c sweet potato, diced
- 1 14-oz can chickpeas, drained
- 2 c arugula
- 2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1 c cashew sauce
- 4 Ts pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- Prepare the quinoa as directed; keep covered and set aside
- Heat 1 teaspoon of your healthy oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add sweet potatoes and toss well to coat. Cover pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are bright orange all the way through.
- Add another teaspoon of oil to the pan along with the chickpeas. Saute for 3-4 minutes, until the chickpeas are toasted and the sweet potatoes are fork-tender. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Divide quinoa into bowls. (Perfect amount for 4 servings.) Place sweet potatoes and chickpea mixture in each bowl, then top off with argula and tomato.
- Place avocado half on top of each serving. Fill avocado pit cup with cashew sauce. Garnish with pepitas.
- Serve warm.