It’s National Guacamole Day, and what better way to celebrate than to kick up the heat, and share a spicy version of our fave tortilla chip companion? We’re serving it up (the guac, that is) with Rachelle, creator of Vivacious Gourmet, a colorful collection of eye-pleasing, mouth-watering dishes, and what she likes to call healthy comfort food.
“My grandmother has always been an inspiration to me,” says Rachelle. “She made the kitchen the heart of the home and loved sharing recipes with our loved ones. She motivates me to follow all my passions and never let anyone tell you you can't do something!” It’s no wonder Rachelle has come up with this flavorful guacamole recipe, along with all of her other original dishes. It’s what gives her joy! “My passion is cooking and creating healthy comfort classics,” she admits. “Healthy does not mean you have to sacrifice flavor!” Outside of the kitchen, there’s another reason for her smile. “I also love spending time with my dog Ladybug. She lights up my whole world!”
We’re bringing you Rachelle’s “finger-licking good” Best Spicy Guacamole recipe!
2 ripe avocados, chopped
2-3 tsps flake salt
2 cloves garlic
1/2 red onion, diced finely
5-6 cherry tomatoes, diced
1 lime, juiced
1 jalapeño, finely chopped (keeping seeds in place for added heat)
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped finely
Optional: Add 2 tsps of hot sauce (Rachelle loves using Frank’s Red Hot).
- In your mortar, use the pestle to grind together garlic and salt until it becomes a paste.
- Add in your jalapeño and red onions, mix together.
- Add in your avocados and mix, but keep it chunky.
- Add in your tomatoes and mix together.
- Mix in your lime juice and hot sauce, and you will notice the guacamole becomes more of a dip this way.
- Finally, add in your chopped cilantro and a little more salt to taste. Serve in a bowl. Salud and enjoy with veggies or tortilla chips!